Start: Parked on the corner of Marias & Governor Nicholls St, in the Tremé district of New Orleans, Louisiana.
End: Parked on the corner of Marias & Governor Nicholls St, in the Tremé district of New Orleans, Louisiana.
- “Have you ever had a New Orleans sweet potato? You don’t have to add anything. They come out the ground sweet.” -[Redacted], my waiter at Willie Mae’s Scotch House.
- “I wonder if a Chihuahua with Parkinson’s just doesn’t move.” -Me.
- “People in New Orleans all get along. If you come to New Orleans and you can’t get along with anybody, there’s something wrong with you.” -[Redacted], my Uber driver.
- Awoke at 1pm. My first Day in New Orleans and I was out til 5am…
- Wrote a reply to [redacted] letter.
- Ate incredible soul food in the Tremé district.
- I asked an Uber driver how the city is different after Katrina. He said “it’s not.” And pointed to a pothole that’s been here since before the storm. He evidently isn’t impressed by any political change.
- [Redacted]’s after-party
- Apropos of nothing, a man [redacted] on the couch next to me,
- I ask a woman why she spends time around these people. She says, (paraphrase) “because all the women tell me I’m beautiful.”
- Halloween party with intense [redacted] demonstrations (like [redacted]), where the band played Pink Floyd for an hour.
- Video call with [redacted] both right before he went to bed (my 9pm) and right after he woke up the next day (my 5am).
- The people I’ve met here live to party. It’s cheap and exciting and pacifying and hollow.
- I’ve been [redacted] but all of it feels empty [redacted].
- Completed [redacted] outline: another [redacted].
- Fried chicken and sweet potato fries at Willie Mae’s Scotch House, New Orleans.
- The best chicken tenders of my life, at Key’s Fuel (the gas station near my friend’s house).
- All That Jazz sandwich: ham, turkey, cheese, shrimp, mushrooms, and a white sauce. So good! Shockingly so! I expected it to be weird from the shrimp but it was not.
- Everything I’ve eaten in New Orleans has been delicious.
- Afterparty with [redacted] tonite. Do I go? It only starts at 2am…