Start: [Redacted], Pflugerville, TX
End: Parked on a public street outside Walmart, West Houston, TX
- I hear men jiggle the handle before removing gas from cars and women don’t. HILARIOUS. Must research further.
- “It’s hard to mend the relationship after being brutally honest to someone with low self-esteem.” -[Redacted].
- Worked for three hours. [Redacted]. Yay!
- Left Austin, heading toward New Orleans.
- Call with [redacted] today. Love talking to him.
- Ham & pepperjack & mayo roll-ups. Yum!
- A glass of white moscato. Also yum!
- Traveling to New Orleans. Seeing [redacted] & his crazy parties.
- Making t-shirts with [redacted]?!?!?!
Start: Guest Room in [redacted]’s house, Austin, TX
End: [Redacted]’s house, South Austin, TX
- Sous vided a steak for [redacted] and myself; seared it at the end. Was TO DIE FOR.
- “Is the opposite of ‘pee-shy’ ‘pee-proud’? ‘Cause I’m pee-proud.” -Me
- It’s not how fast you move; it’s hitting all the right steps. Some steps take time. Others can zoom.
- I don’t want to [redacted]. That would be complex. Complex is bad.
- [Redacted] with [redacted]. Very comfortable very fast. [Redacted].
- [Redacted] made a funny face. I teased her [redacted].
- Completed much work, including over an hour for [redacted].
- Got lost on a walk with Smidge. If you plan to turn right at each chance you get, you can retrace by making each left. This only works if you don’t find a cool path that you decide to take, because, “Look! A cool path!”
- Called [redacted] via Apple Watch, for directions when lost. Grateful he helped. He’s a good friend.
- Chatted with [redacted] about his life & his work. Suggested he get a sleep doc, do a sleep study, reshape his life.
- Texted [redacted] that I loved our chat last week. That was delightful. She called back, too.
- Texted [redacted] that I wasn’t happy [redacted]. Just not the relationship I want to have. She said, “all good” and “no skin off my back” (paraphrased). “Still,” I said, “Wanted you to know.”
- Wrote a very good section for my [redacted] story. Very, very good. About [redacted].
- Cleared out my notebook from Myschevia. Notes moved, friends made!
- [Redacted] tomorrow with [redacted]?!?!?!
Start: Outside E Bar Tex-Mex Restaurant, Dallas, TX
End: Guest Room in [redacted]’s house, Austin, TX
- Shared my moscato with [redacted].
- Sex with complicated people is, well, complicated.
- You can live like a king in the outskirts of Austin (two-story house, 4 bedrooms, hot tub with a projector) for the same price as a solo studio apartment in San Francisco.
- Walked Smidge through Dallas. Got lost, got directions from a helpful guy outside a convenience store.
- Hot tubbed with [redacted].
- Arrived to Austin.
- Called the three groups I want to meet in Austin:
- Called dad, told him about the burn and that I plan to [redacted]. He said, “be safe, whatever that means.”
- Called [redacted], told her stories about the burn.
- Spoke with [redacted] about his relationships & his life.
- Called [redacted]; she’s [redacted], not super happy with her life.
Start: Myschevia Festival, Armadillo Acres, Hughes Springs, TX.
End: Outside the Town Square, Downtown Hughes Springs, TX
- Drove from Hughes Springs to Gilmer to retrieve Smidge.
- Smidge did well at the sitter. No accidents, no fights. Nothing to report. Great.
- Drove back to Hughes Springs so I can pick up my letter from [redacted] when the post office opens tomorrow.
- Met all sorts of great people during my last ranger shift at the burn, during teardown/exodus.
- Helped the Fairy Tale camp remove their tent stakes.
- Hugged many people.
- Discussed fireworks with [redacted], the firework designer at Myschevia; he invited me to help design them next year. (He designed the greatest fireworks show I’ve ever seen, even better than the 6 years I’ve seen them at Burning Man).
- Received a new art to hang on my wall.
- The North Texas Regional Burn’s walkie talkies are crap. They still run a very well-organized burn.
- “In a culture so steeped in toxic masculinity, any emotional expression must come out through machismo.” -A Guy at the Burn, on why the North Texas Regional Burn is so Punk Rock.
Next stop: Austin. (Tomorrow?)
- The poly pod I met last night wants me to visit them.
- They have “three dogs and a driveway.” I want to [redacted].
- [Redacted], the dude with the [redacted] tattoos invited me to [redacted].
“Little boy or little girl?” yelled the toothless man from his garage across the street.
“She’s a little girl,” I hollered back. It’s 9:30am on a Thursday as I walk Smidge, my 5lb chihuahua.
“Well, I got a little boy about the same size. Does she wanna be a momma?”
“I don’t think she can.”
“Well, thought I might give it a try.”
My thoughts, in retrospect:
On following others:
School is following others. Culture instills following others. Corporations, countries, and organizations require following others. Following others is not for the individual. It’s for the safety of the herd.
On freedom and the individual:
I need the freedom to express. I need the freedom to explore. I need the freedom to create. These are only taught by the world’s best teachers. Learn to learn from yourself or risk living someone else’s version of your life.
In this corner, at five-pound-four and thirty inches long, she’s the fiercest chihuahua you’ve ever met. She defends her food with the courage of a Rottweiler. She’s a fierce mama bear with six gnawed nipples to prove it. She marks giants’ territory as her own and likes her scritches… ruff.
Ladies and Gentlemen…
The one and only…
Want more Smidge? Comment with a request.